My vertical blinds started getting some slats that were no longer turning. My first thought was to replace the entire blinds so they matched the others in the house but after getting a price estimate I decided that was no longer an option. After all, fixing something many times is much more cost effective than replacing something outright. So I decided I would try to repair them instead
In this video I’m repair my Graber Vertical Blinds which have been in my house since I purchased it many years ago. I don’t remember exactly when but one of the center slats was not turning anymore. I pretty much just wrote it off as okay, I will ignore it or eventually getting around to fixing it.
As time progressed this one slat plus the how close my couch was to them started causing others near not to turn. Still rather than correct the problems we decided to ignore them and only correct the effects rather than the symptoms. Well as more time progressed the blinds became increasingly annoying to open or close because the slats were interfering with each other. Now was the time to address the issue.
Initially as I stated we thought about updating them to match the other blinds in our house – only to be shell shocked by the price estimate. We knew what the other ones cost but the estimate came in for this one – nearly $800 for just this one and not the same brand but a less expensive one. Yeah – no thanks and the decision became can I repair them. I fixed the stems but didn’t realize there was a missing scissor track gear when I ordered my parts.
This video illustrates how I went about replacing the failed components which took less than 60 minutes to complete.
VB-STEM – Vertical Blind Carrier Clip from Fix My Blinds.